The five activities include:
- Via Ferrata
- Gorge walk / Ghyll Scrambling
What’s the itinerary?
Firstly you’ll put on a safety harness and helmet and enjoy the challenge of our unique Via Ferrata high wire course, which is only 1 of 3 in the UK.
Following that, you will get changed into our warm purpose made canyoning wetsuits and experience the thrill of the 45 ft bridge abseil. From the bridge, you descend into the gushing water below. You will then go gorge walking or ghyll scrambling as it is sometimes known. You will feel the force of the water as you forge your way upstream. Climb through waterfalls and jump into deep pools before you turn around and enjoy sliding down waterspouts and going with the flow back to the beginning.
Absolutely loved the Big Five challenge, got to be canyoning next! 5 stars *****
A well-earned lunch will be provided in our cafe before starting the adventures ahead. Lunch usually includes homemade soup, a selection or sandwiches and chips.
In the afternoon we will head to Scar House Reservoir for a session of open canoeing before exploring some of the caves and underground passages which are all around us in Upper Nidderdale.
Please note you will need to provide your own transport to canoeing and caving activities, a short drive from How Stean.
Please arrive 30 mins before your activity to complete medical forms (and to allow for any navigation issues on your drive here).
We did the big 5 and then had a BBQ and fire. It was absolutely perfect – everyone had a great time, the food was lovely and all staff very friendly. Stan is a particular gem. 5 stars *****
The Big 5 on Film – Share your Multi Outdoor Activity Day Adventure with Friends
The abseiling and gorge walking/ghyll scrambling sessions, the instructors’ film your group with headcams. These recordings are available to purchase on our branded 16GB USB 3.0 memory pen drives at the reception.
See some of the videos on our You Tube Channel.
Please read our Terms and Conditions Prior to Booking
What do I need to bring?
- For the Via Ferrata and Caving – A set of comfortable clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. If the weather isn’t looking too good it is advisable to bring along a waterproof jacket and trousers
- A pair of trainers or boots that you don’t mind getting wet for gorge walking
- Whilst gorge walking / abseiling – A swimming costume or trunks/shorts to wear underneath the wetsuit and an old pair of shorts to wear over the top to protect the wetsuit bottom and yours!
- Wellies, we recommend wearing these whilst caving. We have lots of spare wellies in the stores but if you would like to bring your own please do
- Towel and toiletries, so you can freshen up after an amazing day
- Don’t forget to bring dry footwear and spare clothes for when you have finished.
- Any medication you require including sun cream, hats, gloves etc
We supply all safety equipment. You can use our hot showers and changing area afterwards so don’t forget a towel.