Unbeatable Caving Experience in Yorkshire
Ready for a challenge? Discover the underground world of Yorkshire with How Stean Gorge today.
Your caving experience with How Stean will find you exploring the underground passages of Nidderdale. Prepare to be wading through water, climbing underground waterfalls and sliding through the mud as you traverse the horizontal and vertical routes!
Here at How Stean Gorge we are lucky enough to have some of the most exciting, beautiful caves in the UK, and our friendly, trained instructors are ready to take you on a fantastic caving adventure. There are many amazing sights to be encountered as you climb, scramble and slide around Nidderdale and the rest of the Yorkshire Dales.
What to Expect
Caving is an experience you will never forget. You can look forward to walking, crawling, climbing or abseiling around some of the most incredible natural wonders that the country has to offer. If you’re looking for something a bit different – and you don’t mind a bit of mud! – then a Yorkshire caving experience is a must.
- Full- or half-day UK caving experiences
- Book time with a private instructor or an open session with mixed groups
- Tailored sessions for beginners or advanced potholers
- Ages seven and up
- Available for school trips, corporate visitors and families
The Nidderdale cave system is a network of twelve kilometres of interweaving passageways, with caves like the Manchester Hole and Goyden Pot.
Our sessions start at 09.30am and 1.30pm daily. We request that you arrive approximately 30 minutes before your start time and wear appropriate clothing.
When you book onto one of our Yorkshire caving experiences, we can link those passageways up to create routes with varying difficulty. There are plenty of options available and we are happy to tailor your caving experience to your preferences to make sure you have an amazing time.
- Detailed safety briefing
- All safety equipment
- A caving suit, knee pads, wellington boots, helmet and head torch
- A friendly, highly-experienced, qualified caving instructor
- The caving experience!
This incredible Yorkshire caving experience costs just £65 per person.
There are several personal development benefits to be gained from a caving experience, especially if you’re trying it as part of a school trip or work team-building activity.
- Strengthen your communication skills: the passages can be dark and winding, so communication is vital to avoid getting lost!
- Learn to trust others: it takes a lot to trust to follow someone into a small space underground. This experience really pushes you to rely on your instructor and let go.
- Build your self-confidence: caving is an effective way to develop self-belief and confidence to try new and scary things, overcome fears and build resilience – particularly if you are claustrophobic.
- Become more reflective: evaluate your own and others’ experience in order to spot strengths and weaknesses to build on for next time!
Booking Last Minute?
Online bookings close fourteen days before the date of the experience. If you cannot see any available space on our bookings calendar, please contact us on 01423 755666. In most cases, we should still be able to fit you in, as we often have additional instructors onsite.
Why Choose How Stean Gorge?
You will be safely cared for by our friendly, professional, highly-experienced instructors who hold British Caving Association qualifications – either the Local Cave Mine Leader Award (LCMLA) or the Cave Instructor Certificate (CIC).
At How Stean Gorge, we have the highest quality equipment and facilities to ensure that you can thoroughly enjoy your experience.
For the best caving experience in Yorkshire, How Stean Gorge is the place for you. To learn more about our outdoor activities, food and drink options or lodges and camping availability, please get in touch with our friendly team, who will be more than happy to guide you in the right direction.