Abseil into a Gorge, down a waterfall or a sheer rock face
Put yourself into our very safe hands. Take part in our abseiling experiences in some of the UK’s most amazing locations. We will secure you into a harness and held safely on a rope as you descend.
How Stean offers four types of abseiling:
- During a rock climbing session. After experiencing the thrill of getting to the top see how quick and easy it is to abseil back down the rock face. Our 3 hour rock climbing sessions take place at How Stean Gorge or at Brimham Rocks.
- During a caving expedition. You may – depending on your ability – do a free abseil or rock face abseil within the cave. There are several locations in Nidderdale, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that can be used. Each session is tailored to your ability and the weather.
- At the start of the gorge walking / ghyll scrambling session, we do a wet abseil. Experience the rush as you lower yourself off the bridge and descend 45 feet into the gorge below.
- Tackle multiple abseils down waterfalls when canyoning This will get your adrenaline pumping as you descend one of these extremely steep watercourses.
Wherever you abseil you’ll get a great view
No matter whether you have been abseiling before you will love any of the activities above, most of our activities involve an abseil at some point. Sessions are tailored to suit your requirements and abilities under the guidance of our fully qualified instructors. So whether you’ve never put on a harness or you want to challenge yourself on new sites, we know locations suitable for you. Once you’ve tried it we are sure you will want to do it again … and again!Abseiling and Gorge Walking Abseiling and Caving Abseiling and Rock Climbing Abseiling and Canyoning
Booked the bridge abseil and gorge scramble… Never abseiled before and Ben made us all feel safe. Great scramble up the gorge and in caves. Son loved it !!!! Loved the hot shower at the end. Also the hot chocolate in the cafe! Would definitely recommend. ***** 5 stars
Hadi P, Essex
- How much does it cost?
Prices vary depending on which activity your would like to do but as a guide our 3 hour experiences cost £45 per person and a full day canyoning is £120 per person. Please arrive approximately 30mins early to complete medical forms.
- Whats included?
- Abseiling experience
- Dependant on package – gorge walking, rock climbing or canyoning experience
- All equipment
- A friendly, highly qualified instructor
- How fit do I need to be?
Abseiling is incorporated in many of our activities which vary in difficulty depending on the activity. If you want more of a challenge talk to our team about arranging a visit to more challenging locations.
- Why choose How Stean Gorge?
You will be safely cared for by our friendly, professional and highly experienced instructors. How Stean Gorge is a spectacular limestone ravine carved out over thousands of years by water flow and is the perfect location for outdoor activities like Via Ferrata, gorge walking, caving, rock climbing, canyoning and abseiling. It is geographically unique, as it’s one of the only places in the UK where you can comfortably enjoy both rock sports and canoeing – in a single day. It is also a Site of Special Scientific Interest located in Nidderdale, An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty – why choose anywhere else?
- Can I take the whole family?
Of course! Anybody aged 7 or over can take part in our half day activities. Those who do not take part can watch the activities. Brimham Rocks there are suitable places for younger children to scramble over rocks providing they are accompanied by an adult. Also, there’s plenty at How Stean to keep younger children occupied under the guidance of an adult. For a full day Canyoning at one of our venues in Yorkshire or Cumbria, The Lake District participants will need to be over the age of 14 years
- What is the minimum number of people to book?
There is no minimum number of people to book for our half day activities – individuals and groups small or large are welcome, except for the heli-canyoning or canyoning where we require a minimum of 2 people.
- Where do we meet?
If abseiling and gorge walking or vertical caving at How Stean Gorge – you’ll meet the instructors in the reception area, but if climbing and abseiling at Brimham you’ll meet the team at Brimham Rocks car park, Harrogate HG3 4DW.