Abseiling Experience UK – Abseil into a Gorge or Down a Waterfall
Abseiling is the exhilarating experience of leaning backwards off a steep drop while being lowered down on a rope. Sometimes you may use your feet for a controlled descent down a ridge while at other points you may be lowered off a structure into free hanging space. Don’t worry – you’ll be tightly secured in a harness! The Yorkshire Dales area is considered one of the most beautiful places to abseil in the UK. Our abseiling locations in the UK include How Stean Gorge, Brimham Rocks and Nidderdale.
What to Expect
Abseiling is a fantastic way to overcome a fear of heights! Before you start, an expert instructor will secure you into a safe and snug harness and equip you with a hard helmet. You will be given instructions on the best way to hold onto your rope and guide yourself safely down the descent before leaning back into the thrill of a lifetime!
Yorkshire Abseiling Experiences to Choose From:
- During a rock climbing session.
After experiencing the thrill of getting to the top, conquer that fear of heights and abseil back down the rock face! Our 3-hour rock climbing sessions take place at How Stean Gorge or at Brimham Rocks, some of the most amazing abseiling locations in the UK
- During a caving expedition.
You may – depending on your ability – do a free abseil or rock face abseil within the cave. There are several locations in Nidderdale, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that can be used. Each session is tailored to your ability and the weather.
- At the start of the gorge walking / ghyll scrambling session
Experience the rush as you lower yourself off the bridge and descend 45 feet into the gorge below – expect to get wet!
- During canyoning
Get your adrenaline pumping as you descend one of these extremely steep watercourses!
There are several personal development benefits to be gained from abseiling – especially rewarding if you’re trying it as part of a school trip or team building activity:
- Strengthen communication skills – Listening and being receptive to instructions is the key to a successful abseil.
- Learn to trust – It takes a lot to trust that someone is holding you while you lean back over a steep drop. Great for team working skills!
- Build self-confidence – Abseiling is an effective way to develop self-belief and confidence to try new and scary things, overcome fears and build resilience.
- Become reflective – Evaluating your own and others’ experience in order to spot strengths and weaknesses to build on for next time!
*This activity is also available as a residential or school day trip activity. Please see our educational package details here.